It was developed by Facebook, and then used as an Open Source library in many thousands of projects.
Why use React?
We at Ontola are fans of React - most of our projects (including this website) are built with it.
So in many cases we recommend developing web applications with it.
- Re-usable components. In React you build components, which can be shared between screens and between applications. This keeps your code manageable and modular.
- Gigantic community. A large community means that it is easy to find solutions if you have a problem. In addition, there are very many ready-to-use components to be found. Finally, you can also find many developers for it!
- Fast development. Building with React is fast - and a productive developer means a happy customer!
- Flexible deployment. React can be used from highly dynamic, agile applications, to static websites (like this one).
- Short loading times. With React, web applications can be built both on the server (SSR), and in the browser. This makes for very short loading times!
React is a front-end library, and thus (often) needs a back-end where the data should come from.
A few suitable options (which we also work with a lot) are: